Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cherry Vanilla

I don't know how many of you have heard the name Cherry Vanilla, but for those of you who haven't, she's an actress, author, poet and performer who started out in the world of Andy Warhol in the early 1970s, worked with David Bowie during the years when he was good (early 70s again), had a punk band in London, and is now about to publish her autobiography.

I've loved her ever since I found a pile of old issues of "Penthouse" at a used books store a few years ago, and stumbled upon a short story she wrote back in 1974 or 1975. The few lines of biography intrigued me so I started googling and I was completely hooked.

You can find out more at her website here. And there's some wonderful stories to be found in the book "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" by Dave Thompson.

And here's my most recent discovery, a photograph of Cherry in all her beauty, taken back in 1971, while she was starring in the Warhol play "Pork."

No comments:

Post a Comment